Sunday, July 31, 2011

Seriously...

Seriously....I need to get serious about this business of getting healthy.  I have the information; I need the motivation. Motivation lacking, maybe sheer determination will do it!...that and the reality of the negatives involved with not getting on with it.

So the plan - One Month of Just Doing It (August 2011).

I was going to plan this out before I started.  Well, procrastinator that I am, that didn't happen, and I don't want to use that as an excuse to postpone action.  I hope I haven't set myself up to fail already.  I don't have the food purchased to really get going on healthy eating.  I haven't figured out an exercise plan.

I'm thinking I just need to get up and move and do it - however that turns out.  That may actually be a good way to start...no expectations, shoulds, have-tos....just wing it and go for it.  This approach may actually be best, because I'm thinking I'll be in many situations when I am away from my preplanned schedule/regimen, and I'll have to figure it out on the spot.

If I truly know this stuff, then I shouldn't really have to write it all down and plan it.  By now, it should just be automatic - or at least I should be able to pull it out of my wee brain from what I've learned already.  Of course, I do need to have food readily available.

The plan:
  • Exercise on a consistent basis
  • Exercise more than I currently manage to do
  • Try out a gluten-free diet
  • Add more vegetables, grains, and legumes
  • Ease into a vegetarian diet (this may take some time, and I may never actually do it)
  • Lower carbohydrate intake
  • Give up DIET COKES - they are my main addiction - sigh
  • Limit processed foods, wheat, and sugar
I plan to post daily on my progress.  This really isn't about losing weight, although I hope that is part of the results.  It's truly about just getting healthy.  A side benefit should be a better emotional state of being as well.  No more anxiety about not getting healthy - instead a boost from exercise-induced endorphin surges and a better functioning body!

I also want to be aware of the impact that my eating habits have on the environment - trying to "eat local," eat organic, and limit (or eliminate) meats.  I'm not sure I'll be able to eliminate animal products, i.e. dairy and eggs, but we'll see. 

Stay tuned - and join me (after I've had a bowl of popcorn and my last Diet Coke for a month)!

I think this is going to require more pre-planning than I've done lately.....and cooking at home - sigh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment