Thursday, March 14, 2013

March 14, 2013

This year is ticking by fast.  It's almost Easter - which also means spring is almost here.  I'm so ready.  I need daylight!

My feet are still a bit achy today.  I may need to back off on steps per day.  Just try for 8,000 which is my goal v 10,000 that is supposed to be the goal.  I think swimming is definitely going to have to be my every-other-day exercise.  I'm trying to save my feet for Saturday.  We're walking the Shamrock Shuffle downtown with friends - 3K. I'm trying to find the right combination of footwear, orthotics, and other gadgets to get my feet healed.  I've read blogs and websites about plantar fasciitis.  Seems everyone has the same problem - there is no one fix.  Having said that, I bought a new pair of tenners yesterday and another OTC insert for my shoes.

Finished off those yummy pancakes this morning.  The other varieties I made are in the freezer.  I guess I'll swap off to something else for breakfast tomorrow. 

Ever have days when you're just not hungry?  That was today.  I don't have many days when I'm ravenous.  I do have days when my cravings take over.  There are days when I just can't find what would satisfy me.  It's probably something like potato chips, a Twinkie, or a Milky Way!  I just can't go there.  But today, I just wasn't hungry which makes deciding what to eat more difficult.  For that reason, lunch was a turkey jerky stick and mandarin oranges!  Odd little lunch.

Got in the kitchen tonight and made some energy bites.  Found this recipe on....Pinterest, of course.  They are pretty good.  I think I'll make a double batch next time, because Gary likes them, too.

Energy Bites
 1 cup (dry) oatmeal
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla

I added 1/3 cup of oat bran.  I didn't have vanilla, so I just left that out.  I also added some dried currants.  I was able to stir this together with a spoon.  I then used my hands to form the balls.  Even with the peanut butter and honey, they are a bit crumbly.  I thought I would be able to roll them into a ball.  Instead, I had to form them into a ball and press them together.  Not a problem, really.  I decided to add some olive oil to the last bit of batter hoping it would make the balls stick together.  Can't say it really helped.  I haven't tried those yet.  I put the balls on a cutting board and refrigerated them for a bit before I put them in a container.  Gary said they reminded him of no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies.

Dinner was chicken breasts cooked in my new yellow pot.  Such a pretty, cheery color for cooking food.  Just browned the chicken in the pot, added some chopped vegetables, a bit of tomato sauce, and baked it for about an hour.  I had leftover rice, so we ate it over rice.  Steamed some asparagus - and that was dinner.



Got really kitchen-y today.  I can't eat oatmeal in the morning.  I know it's good health-wise and want to include it. Dawned on me that I could have it at night as a snack before bed.  I typically cook steel-cut oats on top of the stove, but I thought, if I can cook rice in the steamer, why can't I cook oatmeal in the steamer?  I did it - and it worked!  I used 1 cup of water and 1 cup of almond milk.  I also added dried currants (it's not that I'm a huge fan of currants; just needed to use them up, which apparently, I did today - in energy bites and oatmeal!).  If I were going to eat this immediately, I would add more liquid.  The oatmeal was a bit on the dry side.  I usually make a batch of oatmeal and reheat.  When I do that, I add liquid.  That's what I'll do with this.  I also stirred in some chopped pecans after the oatmeal was done. 

Showered this morning and just put my jammies back on.  I do that some days.  Nice to just stay in and get things done in my own time and in my own way.


No comments:

Post a Comment