Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Starts and Stops

Well, the day started well and then...I lost it.  Sigh.

I made pancakes last night!!!  Made three different batches from three different recipes.  I found some gluten-free, flour-free recipes that sounded pretty good.  They all tasted pretty good, but only two turned out really well.

Here is one of the recipes:

Protein Pancakes
Recipe By TIU
Makes 1 serving of 4, four-inch pancakes, or one large pancake
Batter:
1 scoop protein powder – any kind or flavor
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed (optional for an added nutritional boost)
2 Tbsp almond milk
1/4 cup egg whites
1/2 banana – mashed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (if your protein powder is plain)

Toppings:
1 Tbsp sliced almonds or almond butter
1 Tbsp low sugar syrup

In a small bowl, mash half of a ripe banana and set aside.

In another bowl, combine one scoop (or one serving listed on packaging) of protein powder, ground flaxseed, almond milk, egg whites, and cinnamon. Add the mashed banana and stir all ingredients together until smooth batter is created. If using a unflavored protein powder, pure vanilla extract can be added into the batter.

Lightly coat a pan with nonstick cooking spray, and place on stove over medium heat. Pour the batter into 4 inch circles (or one gigantic pancake!). Flip pancakes once they start to bubble.

Top with sliced almonds or almond butter and low sugar syrup.

The Rabbit Food Pyramid Breakdown
Produce: banana
Whole Grain: no grains for this one! Keeping it simple and low carb
Protein: protein powder
Plant Based Fat: ground flaxseed and sliced almonds
If you’re interested in Hemp Protein Powder, I used Nutiva Hemp Protein Powder + Fiber. This particular powder is unsweetened and unflavored and has an earthy taste to it. It can be found at Whole Foods or your local health food store.

protein pancakes
I had to add three scoops of protein powder to make the batter thick enough.  I also went ahead and used a whole egg v egg whites.  The result:  pretty tasty!   I intend to puree some fruit to use as a topping v syrup.  Gary thinks adding some chopped nuts would make them really good.  After making the oatmeal pancakes (to follow), I think I would also add some baking powder to these to make them a bit fluffier.

I found these recipes on Pinterest.  One pancake recipe that kept showing up repeatedly was the cream cheese pancake.  I thought I'd try it, too.  

Cream Cheese Pancakes
Yield: Four 6-inch pancakes
Serving Size: 1 pancake
Ingredients
  • 2 oz cream cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 packet stevia (or any) sweetener
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions
  • Put all ingredients in a blender or magic bullet. Blend until smooth. Let rest for 2 minutes so the bubbles can settle. Pour 1/4 of the batter into a hot pan greased with butter or pam spray. Cook for 2 minutes until golden, flip and cook 1 minute on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve with sugar free syrup (or any syrup of your choice) and fresh berries.
Well, I don't think this will be a keeper.  The batter was very thin - almost like a crepe.  I had trouble getting the pancakes to turn without pulling them apart.  I tried higher heat, lower heat, small pancakes - I was able to just get a few that looked decent.  They tasted good - rich - and should have with the eggs and cream cheese.  For the amount of cholesterol and fat, I think I'll stick with the protein powder pancakes.  They ain't pretty!

cream cheese pancakes









Next up - flourless pancakes with oatmeal:

Flourless Pancakes

1 cup skim milk
1 egg
2 T unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups whole oats
1 T baking powder
1 packet all natural stevia (optional)

Add all ingredients to a blender - in the order listed.  Blend for 20-30 seconds.

Pour batter onto hot griddle or skillet in small pancake size.  Yields 8 pancakes. 2 pancakes = 150 calories, 3 g frat, 26 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein, 48 mg sodium, 4 g sugar



These were really good!!!  The only thing is that there are more carbs in these because of the oats.  I had to add more oats to get the batter thick enough, and instead of stevia, I used honey.  Pretty good.  These would be great with chopped nuts added, too.

Since I'm trying to avoid carbs and gluten, I think I'll use the protein powder pancake recipe more than the oatmeal recipe...even though they are pretty good!
oatmeal pancakes
So why the title Starts and Stops?  Because...I STARTed out really well this morning with my pancakes.  Lunch I did pretty good, too.  Then I caved and ate the cherry pie from McDonald's that Hayley bought me.  Sigh.  Then...we stayed late helping Hayley and Paul.  That meant a stop for dinner.  Yes, yes, yes, I could have chosen something better than ChikFilA, but it just called to me.  It's that "I've already messed up today, what the hell" thinking that got me.  So it was a chicken sandwich and a few fries.  NOT what I was supposed to eat.  I should have STOPped after the cherry pie weak moment, but I didn't. 
There's always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment