Monday, March 11, 2013

Getting on it again!

Well!  I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted on this blog.  2011!!!!  Here it is two years later.  Goodness.

Here's what I've discovered.  Blogging helps keep me on track.  There's something about posting that makes me want to do better....even if no one else is reading this.  Weird.  Oh well.  Whatever works.

I really want to try to go gluten-free.  No doctor will tell me that I have a gluten sensitivity, but when I read all the symptoms, I have to wonder.  I've tried this before and just didn't keep up with it.  Takes planning.  I'm going to make the effort again - if even for just 3-6 months.  At least I'll know if I feel better or not.  If so, I'll continue.  If not, I don't think I will have done any harm.

I'm starting with tonight's dinner.  It was supposed to be black-eye peas on rice.  Just a teensy problem - I forgot to plug in the steamer/rice cooker.  Apparently the time ticks away and dings even when the steamer isn't plugged in.  Yep - one hour later - DING! - but uncooked rice.  Sigh.  This is a great gadget - when plugged in!

So, dinner was black-eye peas without rice - which actually was quite tasty.  I didn't grow up eating them.  I've always thought I needed the rice to  make them taste good.  Now I know I don't!  Probably was better not having the rice - lots fewer carbs - which is what I need to focus on, too.

Before cooking...
I just had to warm up the black-eye peas.  These were some I had canned over the summer.  I sauteed some bell pepper, onion, and tomato to go on top of the peas.  Yummm.  We also had some carrots that I had canned.  I just added about a teaspoon of honey (local) to flavor them some.

I love this little pan I got from World Market.
Yummy dinner!                



No comments:

Post a Comment