Friday, August 12, 2011

August 12: Day 12 - Boil Me Some Chicken, Woman!

The Bewitching Hour struck again.  I woke up at 2:00 a.m.  Managed to get back to sleep....until....4:00 a.m.  Finally got up at 4:40 and decided to make use of the awake-time.  Cooked bacon, made a veggie tray, cooked chicken, made egg salad, had breakfast, and took a walk - all done by 7:00 a.m.!!!!

BREAKFAST:
Bacon.  Yep.  Bacon.  I cooked an entire package - don't gasp, I didn't eat the entire package.  I had 4 slices and put the rest in the fridge for another morning.  Also had some strawberries and swigged some almond milk.  Did you know you can buy nitrate-free bacon?  Gotta watch that bacon, though.  It will spit in your eye.







LUNCH:
We had the egg salad that I made this morning.  I don't make egg salad often, but I do really like it.  Simple and plain - eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, and a little S&P (salt and pepper).  I just love when I boil the eggs perfectly and get beautiful yellow yolks.  I made a sandwich with a gluten-free roll and added a little spinach.  Not as good as white bread, but it'll do.


So which came first - the chicken or the egg?  Today the chicken came first - as in boiled/cooked first....egg salad was completed second!







DINNER:
Went boating, so I needed portable food.  We actually don't eat that much when we go to the lake.  I'm surprised, because we stay pretty busy.  For some reason, we don't need a lot of food to keep us going.  

I did fresh veggies.  Gary loves raw vegetables.  He usually dips them in salad dressing, but we went plain today.  Small bowl for the boat; tray for at home.  Also had some fresh blueberries and tomatoes. I don't typically mix blueberries and tomatoes together, but one bowl took up less room in the cooler. 

I had boiled some chicken this morning.  I know that sounds very blah, but boiled chicken is actually good.  I put a bit of olive oil in the water and some kosher salt.  Boiling keeps the chicken from getting dry.  It's just a plain, simple taste.  We like it.  I'm sure you could put other seasonings in the water, but I like it plain.

SNACK:
Good crunchy organic apple and some organic cherries. 





EXERCISE:
Took that walk this morning.  We have "toe" shoes.  Supposed to make you move like you are walking barefooted.  Differing opinions on whether or not this is good for your feet/legs.  I can't get my little toe to appreciate them :).  I decided to try them this morning, since I knew I wouldn't be taking a long walk.  One thing I know for sure - they really do work the legs.  The straps are glowing, because I started my walk in the dark, and these must be reflective tabs on the shoes.  

And of course, swam in the lake. Funny thing.  I've been trying vinegar as a rinse after shampooing instead of purchased creme rinses.  It works really well except....when I got in the lake, my head smelled like vinegar!  I think the vinegar reconstituted in the lake!

INDULGENCES:
I just love the hearts of celery.  I don't mean the package you buy that says "celery hearts."  I mean the very inner little pieces of celery within the stalk.  Those little ribs of celery are so tender.  No one else in my family probably knows that, because I do the cooking and eat 'em!  No one else knows they exist!


Gary drove me by a field of sunflowers on our way to the lake.  He knows I like sunflowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment