Monday, August 22, 2011

August 22: Day 22 - Fair Fair-Fare and Healthy After-Fair Fare

Gary and I got up this morning to go to The Kentucky State Fair.  Believe it or not, we've been planning this for the 20 years we've lived in Kentucky!  Every year we would say we were going, then we would decide it was too hot.  This year was in the mid-80s, thankfully.  But, since we're now older, everything we did was inside - exhibits!  We did venture out and walk to the horse barns.  

We were both remembering the fair when we were kids.  Riding the rides, staying all day, getting dusty/dirty feet, pigging out on fair food.  Well, the midway was little from what we could see.  We didn't even walk by the rides.  We remembered standing in line forever to get food.  Rarely any lines today - even for funnel cakes!  Our fairs (TN and FL) had lots of animals.  Apparently this fair only has horses, pigs, and goats to view.  I wanted to see all the different kinds of chickens and rabbits.  Also wanted to see draft horses.  Not there.  Maybe we're just too old for the fair :).

It was interesting to see all the different entries in all the categories from food to textiles to photography.  Loved the quilts.  

BREAKFAST:
We had leftover quinoa this morning.  

LUNCH:  
Never can decide mustard? or ketchup?, so I do both!
I can remember going to the Florida State Fair and having to get a Mac & Ivy's steak sandwich.  Yummm.  We really didn't see that much variety today.  Thought we would see all the funky fair foods - fried butter, for example.  A few things were there - like fried Kool-Aid, beef sundaes, maple/bacon sundae.  There may have been more of those kinds of foods on the midway.  Most of the cotton candy we saw was already bagged - no one spinning it while you waited. 

So, for lunch, I had a corn dog!  So blah, but I like them.




DINNER:
Got home, and neither one of us were hungry.  We just had raw veggies and dip....and some nuts.

SNACK:
I got hungry around 3 p.m.  I didn't want anything sweet, options were limited, so.....I had another corn dog!  We also bought some chocolate candy at a booth from South Bend, IN.  I got one piece of chocolate-covered toffee and one piece of chocolate-covered caramel.  Gary got some "turtles."  Well, let me tell you, they don't know how to make good chocolate candy in South Bend, IN!!!  This was the most bland chocolate, toffee, and caramel I've ever had.  There I blew my healthy eating ... and got lousy candy!

We picked up a bag of cotton candy to take to Eliza.  We all (Hayley, Paul, Gary, and I) thought it would be fun to see what she did with a cone of cotton candy.  Well, she didn't like it!  I don't think she liked the texture, but she also didn't like the taste.  Almost everything she picks up goes directly into her mouth.  Not today.  She had two hands-full of cotton candy, and only a couple times did she put it to her mouth!  Smart girl.

EXERCISE:
We were at the fair for 5 hours.  We only sat to eat and to briefly watch the mule/jack/jenney judging.  We figured we walked about 4 hours.  My dogs are whining right now.

NOTES:
I really thought I would want a funnel cake.  Fairs and festivals are the only time I even think about them, and I love them.  Today....really wasn't tempted.  I told Gary there must be something about waiting in line for 30 minutes to get one that makes them so good.  No lines today, so they just didn't seem as appealing!

We walked through the hall with all the vegetables that had been judged on display.  Now that is where I was tempted.  I so wanted one of those big, red, ripe tomatoes.  Gary offered to pocket one for me, but I thought it might not go so well!

Coke quilt.
D**n....it haunts me!


No comments:

Post a Comment