Wednesday, August 3, 2011

August 3 - Warmed Up the Ham Hocks

I always find it strange that when we try to lose weight, we actually spend more time thinking about food!  When you're on a diet - to lose or to get healthy - food consumes your thoughts - as you consume food :).

BREAKFAST:
Quinoa.  Keen-wha.  It's a grain, I think.  Supposed to be a "complete" protein.  Kind of like oatmeal but chewier.  I like it, but I have to put a bit of sugar in it.  Had 4 fresh cherries to go with it.

LUNCH:
Another smoothie!  I had fruit and spinach left, so I made one for lunch.  This time instead of tofu I used almond milk.  

SNACK:
Apple....and....a handful of chocolate-covered raisins....and a piece of a "mall" pretzel.

Okay...the chocolate-covered raisins come out of a "bubble gum" machine at the mall.  There are kiosks around the mall with these machines.  Some have gum, others have Skittle-type candies, but I like the chocolate-covered raisins.  It's my treat.  It's 25 cents for a small handful.  I'm sure it's nasty chocolate and who knows what kind of raisins, but they're good.  And the great thing about this - portion control!  You only get so much for 25 cents!

Now, the piece of "mall" pretzel.  There was an elderly woman standing beside the pretzel place, holding a tray of cut-up pieces of pretzel, offering them to people going by.  She looked like she could barely stand there much less hold the tray of pretzels.  I had to take one when she offered...especially since she told me I had a pretty baby :). 

DINNER:
Spaghetti.  I was going to make a batch of sauce with meat and a batch without - and eat the batch without meat.  I forgot and just made a pot of sauce with meat.  Oh well.  The hamburger was Laura's Lean Beef at least.  I did use rice spaghetti instead of wheat.  I really can't tell the difference.  Had a salad with olive oil to go with it.

SNACK:
Snack before bed:  cherries and raw almonds.

Tea - but no soft drinks today.

EXERCISE:
Eliza and I went to the mall today.  I walked for 2 1/2 hours.  I'm also going to add in loading and unloading the stroller...and toting Eliza around all day.  Believe me, that's exercise, too.
 
This is where my title comes from - Warmed Up the Ham Hocks....meaning I warmed up my legs/calves.  I always say I have ham hocks instead of calves.  You know how some people have a thigh, calf, lower leg, then ankle?  I just have a thigh and calf.  No lower leg - calf just goes straight into my ankle!  So today, I exercised (and warmed up) the ham hocks :).
Day Three - we're doin' good.

No comments:

Post a Comment