Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 20: Day 20 - Resisting Temptation


The Bewitching Hour hit again last night.  Woke up at 4:00 a.m.  Awake until 7:00 a.m.  Sigh.  I guess I'll just have to go ahead and get up and get something accomplished....instead of reading or playing on the computer hoping to go back to sleep.  Slept until 11:00.  Felt like my entire day was turned upside down.  

BREAKFAST:
Since I slept until almost lunch time, I just had a handful of cashews and a swig of almond milk for breakfast.  

LUNCH:
That's Gary's lunch in the background.
We ate lunch at Ramsey's before we went to Good Foods Co-op for groceries.  Amazingly, I wasn't that hungry.  I usually get the veggie plate (four vegetables), but today I just opted for some cottage cheese/tomatoes and a salad with olive oil and vinegar.  Dashed a bit too much vinegar on the salad.  It was a bit pucker-y!





DINNER:
Took a nap.  Woke up - again - not so terribly hungry.  Gary went to an open house at a friend's house, so I just grabbed what was convenient:  chicken hot dogs and cherries!  Tasted good, but the picture looks right pitiful!  Cherries are gone (for now).  I'll concentrate on some other fruits.  The cherries are here for such a limited time, so I do eat plenty of them when I can.


SNACK:
My new mini-processor
Picked up some vegan carob chips at Good Foods.  Had a handful of those.  Then tonight, when Gary sent me a text he was on his way home, I almost had him go through McDonald's for a caramel sundae for me.  But....I didn't.  Instead, we had some banana "ice cream."  Glad I resisted the temptation.  The "ice cream" is so good.  Added a touch of vanilla this time - and topped it off with walnuts, as usual.

BANANA "ICE CREAM" (from Daisy)
Peel and slice a banana (for one serving).  Place in an air-tight container; freeze.

Puree banana (you may have to let the banana thaw slightly - depending on your food processor/blender).  Add a couple teaspoons of liquid (I use almond milk).  Puree until ice cream consistency.

I also add a dash of vanilla.  Cinnamon would probably be good, too.  Top with chopped nuts, if desired.  Tastes like banana ice cream. I've also done the same thing with frozen peaches.  Yummm. 

NOTES:
Spent $73 at Good Foods.  Bought local/organic food.  Eating this way is not inexpensive.  I've read several times in books the observation that we want cheap (not healthy) food.  We'll spend lots of money on movies, eating out, sports events, etc., but we want cheap food.  It's a little difficult to re-think a grocery budget after years of looking for bargains and checking the sale ads.
 

Hayley has given up soft drinks....except....for a Coke on Saturdays.  Ooooh.  I remember only having Cokes on Fridays when I was growing up.  Potato chips and dip were also a weekend treat.  The mention of allowing myself one Coke on the weekend is very tempting.  My problem - one sip, and I'd want a gallon.  I used to limit myself to a Coke only when we ate out.  Well, we eat out far too much, and that meant far too many Cokes.  I don't know if I can trust myself to one Coke a week!

Oh how it calls me.

No comments:

Post a Comment