Sunday, August 7, 2011

August 7: Day 7 - Sacrificing

BREAKFAST:
Slept late this morning, so we had brunch.  Scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese along with a couple fresh strawberries.  I do love breakfast.  Of course, my favorite breakfast is at Cracker Barrel - biscuits, gravy, bacon, eggs, hash browns.  Sigh.  I didn't even have toast this morning.
SNACK:
You would think that would hold me, but I had to have a snack around 1:30.  I guess my appetite clock was going off for lunch. I cut up some cherry tomatoes, drizzled on some olive oil, and sprinkled some kosher salt on them.  Yumm Yummm Yummmm.  I love tomatoes like this.

A little later I had a handful of cashews.

DINNER:
I had grilled shrimp with green beans and coleslaw.  I did dip the shrimp in some cocktail sauce, but I figure that's acceptable.

I'm wondering where my vegetarian plans have gone?  I may just not be able to do that.  I hope to cut back on how much meat I eat, but going totally meat-free.....I dunno.  Maybe I'll concentrate on "healthy" first then work on the vegetarian plan.  Every time I read a book on the meat/slaughter industry, I swear I'm never going to eat meat again.  Then without even thinking about it, I sit down to a meal with meat!  It's such a life-long practice that it's really difficult to keep it in mind all the time.  Joseph Campbell said that killing/eating animals is one of the things humans have to come to terms with if they do, in fact, eat meat. Apparently that is why indigenous groups took time to thank the animal for their sacrifice.  We just don't do that any more, because we're too far removed from the animal most times.

The Chinese people I have known love to go to the market and pick out their live chicken and fish.  They'll even take the chicken or duck home to fatten it up before killing it to eat it.  Apparently it's a fairly recent thing to not kill your own chickens at home.  They want fresh food; they want to see the condition of the animal they are eating before it's killed.  They just couldn't understand how we could grocery shop once a week and keep food so long before eating it - even freezing it and keeping it for months.  I told them, when it comes to meat, we really don't want to know what we're eating, and we think fresh is freshly thawed!  

SNACK:
Some cheddar cheese and strawberries before bed.

EXERCISE:
Well, just for those of you who are reading this, I decided to not exercise today.  I figure most people are taking the day off, having a relaxing day before work tomorrow.  I don't want anyone to feel guilty when reading my blog and knowing I did a super workout today.  So, I sacrificed.....just for you all :).






No comments:

Post a Comment