Sunday, August 14, 2011

August 14: Day 14 - Let's Not Get Crazy Here

I've always said we should do things in moderation - except for loving our children - then we should go all out! So....I'm not going to become incredibly strict with my diet. I will work towards eating healthy foods, locally grown foods, gluten-free foods, and fresh foods to reduce packaging waste. But, that being said, I'm not going to forgo dinner with friends who serve me a juicy grilled hot dog. If I want cantaloupe and organic isn't available, I'll probably buy the "un"organic one. If I go out to eat, I'm not going to query the waiter as to where they get their food. (If I had specific food allergies, that would be a different story.) Moderation - sensible eating - paying attention - not going crazy with this - that's the goal.

BREAKFAST/LUNCH:
Ah, Sunday.  Slept late again.  Cooler weather with the windows open makes sleeping so good.  Ate up the rest of the already cooked bacon along with some cherries.








DINNER:

I had some sausage left over from the quiche I'd made last weekend, so I cooked and crumbled that.  Added it to some acorn squash that had honey and chopped walnuts in it; baked until tender.  It doesn't look so pretty, I have to admit.  It tasted pretty good, but I'm not sure I'll add it to my recipe collection.  Filled us up, at least.

SNACKS:
Gary and I snacked on some raw vegetables (green pepper, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, and carrot) while I got dinner started.  I also had a few cherries and some blueberries.  Well, that was mighty colorful!

I mentioned buying cantaloupe that wasn't organic - yep, that's what we had for a snack.  Non-organic it was, but that baby was good.  So many times I buy cantaloupe, and it's just tasteless.  This one was very good and juicy.  We sampled as I cut it up; had a slice for a snack; had another slice with some cheese and cherries later!

I also had a handful of cashews.  You would think having them around all the time would make me overeat them.  Just the opposite.  Knowing they are always here and available - and having a handful frequently - actually keeps me from overeating them.

My mom must have known that strategy.  We were one of the few houses when I was growing up that had all kinds of junk food in the house.  She loved crackers, cookies, candies, and chips.  She stayed thin all her life, but ate like a champ - including whole milk, cheese, buttermilk, and meat.  We tried every kind of candy, cookie, cracker, cereal, and chip that came out.  And...I never really overindulged.  They were there and available.  I guess I knew that and didn't feel the need to pig out.  We ate three meals a day - pretty healthy meals - but those snacks were always there for us, too.  The forbidden wasn't forbidden, and so it wasn't so attractive.  She even gave me wine spritzers starting when I was in 7th grade!  Not often - but on occasion.  Alcohol never held much appeal for me.  She also took my sister and me into the bathroom when we were in grade school and gave us each a cigarette to smoke!  My mom and dad were both big-time smokers.  My sister and I each lit one up, tried it, and that was the end of that.  Never had any desire to smoke.  Thanks, Mom.


We sat on the deck this evening.  Loving these cool evenings.  The crickets and frogs sang to us.  Even the cats joined us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment